Top tips and drinks to reduce inflammation
Since I suffer from endometriosis I have tested different methods, foods and drinks and noticed that some of them worked better for me than others. There are many more out there and I will be trying new ones but I will list here the ones that have made a considerable difference in my symptoms and with pain management.
It is hard to live with this illness as there is so little awareness about it. In Ireland is even worst as there are so many difficulties for a woman to access a gynaecologist here. I am still trying to find out how I could get an ultrasound here without being pregnant It is the hardest thing to find. Maybe if you are referred by your GP but I wonder how long the waiting list would be as Endometriosis is not considered a serious illness in this country. Sorry for being so blunt but it is time to say it. Anything related to the reproductive organs of a woman in Ireland is pushed to the side. In Spain, I was treated straight away and I have regular check-ups every six months. It is a disgrace women here cannot have that type of monitoring and prevention (not even if you go private as far as I know. I would love to be contradicted here).
ENDOMETRIOSIS AND WEIGHT LOSS
When you have Endometriosis it is hard to develop strategies for Weight loss as we feel literally very sick when we have an episode. I have managed my illness very well for many months and have managed to shed 1.2 stone but I have noticed that I have some months that are considerably worst as for my symptoms and I wanted to explain here why I think that is.
WHO IS TO BLAME? THE EXCESS OF ESTROGEN
Endometriosis is an estrogen dependent condition. Women with Endometriosis usually have high levels of estrogen and low levels of progesterone. Generally, if a woman is producing too much estrogen she’ll experience excessive fat gain, particularly in the hips and stomach and bloating. When having this illness one should be careful with processed foods on the market as they exacerbate the issue. Things to watch out for are the way food is prepared. An example of this is animals that has been given antibiotic injections or hormones as they will store excess of estrogen in their bodies. When you eat non-organic meat or eggs, that estrogen excess gets passed on to you, thus worsening your estrogen dominance.
WHAT NOT TO EAT?
I have reduced some of this items from my diet as I have noticed a worsening of the symptoms every time I re-introduced them in my diet.
- DAIRY: I have changed to almond milk that is anti-inflammatory and it also has much less calories. One bird with two stones! I like to have natural live yogurt but if I have it too much the pain and bloating begins. This has been one of the hardest things to quit. Ideally you should have it sporadically for a treat but not as a regular part of your diet. Instead I got the Udo’s Choice Super 8 microbiotic capsules in Nourish.
- ALCOHOL: living in Ireland, to quit alcohol is as hard as it gets as it is a big part of social life here. But what I do now is that I have reduced it so I only have it in special occasions. This means choosing carefully when it is a special occasion and not having too many drinks in one night.
- GLUTEN: This has been hard as I love to toast in the morning but it has totally worth it.,Now I only have gluten free and try to avoid mostly bread as much as I can. The secret is not to become obsessed with this as we are obviously not coeliac but for this illness studies have shown that the reduction/elimination of gluten has improved the symptoms so it is worth a try.
- SUGAR: the irony of sugar. When we are at our worst with this illness is what we want the most and yet it is like we are feeding the illness itself. One trick that I have found is to drink mate instead. Yerba Mate is as bitter as it gets and kills this need for sugar in this crucial moments.
- RED MEAT: this is also something I only have sporadically now and I try to get good quality meat. So I would have it maybe a few times per year but only good quality meat.
MY FAVOURITE DRINKS FOR ENDOMETRIOSIS
MATE: This amazing drink has become the only thing I drink everyday and some of their benefits are:
- Antioxidant properties: This is because of all the minerals and vitamins in its leaves.
- Improvement in cognition and alertness.
- Better digestion after food.
- Great anti-inflammatory properties
- It prevents cancer
- Reduction in sugary cravings
- Great for Weigh Loss: It reduces obesity as you will be drinking more tea instead of eating in between meals.
- It strengthens the bones as it has calcium
- It increases circulation
- It boosts your Immune System
GREEN TEA & MATCHA TEA have similar properties. Matcha tea has them in a more concentrated form.They say that one cup of matcha tea has the properties of 30 cups of green tea. Some of their great benefits are:
- Depression. Theanine is an amino acid naturally found in tea leaves. It is this substance that is thought to provide a relaxing and tranquilizing effect and be a great benefit to tea drinkers.
- .Weight Loss. It increases the metabolism.thanks to the high levels of polyphenols They intensify the levels of fat oxidation and the rate at which our bodies turns food into calories.
- Diabetes .It seems that it can regulate glucose levels slowing the rise of blood sugar after eating.and prevent high insulin spikes.
- Heart Disease It affects the lining of blood vessels to be more relaxed and to better adapt to changes in blood pressure protecting us against the formation of clots .
- Protects against illnesses such as Esophageal Cancer, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s reducing its risk and preventing against these illnesses.
- Anti-viral and Anti-bacterial. The chemical antioxidant “catechin” in tea can help with throat infections , dental conditions.and inhibit the spread of many diseases.
- Skincare.It can help with sin conditions and the signs of ageing thanks to their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities. It seems that both animal and human studies have shown that green tea applied topically can reduce sun damage.
TURMERIC LATTE WITH ALMOND MILK
- It is a potent anti-inflammatory: It contains more than two dozen anti-inflammatory compounds. In addition, curcumin, the main component in turmeric, lowers the levels of two other enzymes in the body that cause inflammation.
- Research has shown that is very effective in the treatment of conditions like arthritis, irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease, tendinitis and various autoimmune diseases. It reduces inflammation naturally, without damaging the liver or kidneys.
- It is a powerful antioxidant:: this is important in many diseases, as its combination of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects will help to improve their condition.
- It has anti-cancer properties preventing and helping to treat several types of cancers, (source)
- It decreases your risk of diabetes (source)
- It will improve the health of your liver. This organ is important as it removes toxins from your blood. It converts food into energy. It produces bile to aid in digestion.
Do you have Endometriosis or know someone with Endo out there? Join us and tell us your experience. The more we talk about this the more awareness we will bring over this nasty illness.
Thank you for reading!